Thursday, September 17, 2009

The last first post!

Seeing as it is my first official post, let's get some official business out of the way.

I'm Melanie (or Mel), a 24 year old nerd with hippie tendencies and I weigh 249lbs.

That was sort of liberating, to just put THE number out there.

From as early as I can recall, I've thought of myself as a chubby girl. I remember thinking I was the blob in a size 12 back in high school. Now if I could buy a pair of size 12 jeans, I'd kiss strangers in the street. Since my preteens, my weight has been a steady slope upwards. Another couple years, another size. And with that new size, always came another idea for losing all the weight.  The idea would generally last until I woke up the next morning. But I've never felt as serious about actually doing it as I do now.

About a month ago, my mom went to a new doctor who put her through a battery of testing. She was poked and prodded all around town. Every doctor said the same thing... "Lose some weight and yadda yadda doctor stuff." She was telling me this and I realized that I'm 50lbs heavier than her. What would all of those doctors say to ME?

Mom and I joined the gym down the street, aptly named Crull Fitness, and try to squeeze in at least 2 workouts a week. It isn't much (and I hate making this excuse) but our schedules are hectic at best. The only days we're mutually free from school, work and more work are Thursdays and weekends.  It's life though, you have to deal right?

I've also quit all the tasty sodas that I used to so generously chug.  Now it's all Coke Zeros, water, and my morning cup of coffee.  I've discovered that I actually love all the flavored Coke Zeros.  They've got Cherry and Vanilla flavors, both are delicious. The Vanilla is even a little sweet, I save those for a fix after work if I need it.  I never thought I'd ever consider a diet drink as a treat.

A month ago I weighed 265lbs. Since then I've lost 16lbs. My big woohoo goal is 150lbs but really, I think I'd be happy getting into those size 12s again.

So I'm done with the excuses. Done not doing all the little things I've passed on doing because they're too tiring or too hard or too embarrassing.


16lbs down, 99 to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment